Au Contraire 2016 Contests
Arthur C. Clarke-nominated author of the world-building classic The Disestablishment of Paradise.
Pre-judging by award-winning editing team, Dan Rabarts and Lee Murray.
- First Prize: $250, and publication in the Au Contraire 2016 Convention Programme
- Second Prize: NZ$100, and a selection of print books to be awarded at Au Contraire 2016
- Third Prize: NZ$50, and a selection of print books to be awarded at Au Contraire 2016
- Entry is free, but entrants should be current members of SFFANZ, or registered to attend the 2016 National SF&F Convention, Au Contraire 2016. A link to SFFANZ can be found here. A link to the Au Contraire 2016 membership page can be found here.
- Submitted stories can address any theme providing it is speculative (science fiction, fantasy, horror or any sub-genre is acceptable), and should have a word count of 3000 words or less.
- Original stories only, no reprints or simultaneous submissions, please.
- Writers are welcome to submit more than one story.
- Standard formatting: Ariel or Times New Roman, 12pt, 1.5 spaced, indenting for paragraphs, with the story title and numbering included as page header. Submissions are blind, so your name should only appear in your cover email and NOT on the manuscript.
- Stories for an adult audience are fine, but those with gratuitous sex, gore and violence are unlikely to be shortlisted.
- Please send your stories as a .doc or .rtf attachment to: email@example.com with Submission: Your Story Title in the subject line. (Remember to ensure that your name or email address DO NOT appear on the manuscript).
- Competition closes at midnight 31 March 2016. Entries received after this date will not be read. All participants will be notified of the results by late April, 2016.
**Please note that entry to the award automatically assumes that the winning entrant will allow first print publication of their story by Au Contraire 2016 in its Convention Programme to be distributed to convention members (all other rights to be retained by the author).
Art supplies, dvds, vouchers, print books to be awarded at Au Contraire 2016
- Submitted works are to follow Au Contraire’s theme of FANDOM: The Next Generation.
- Original works only (not traced), not exhibited or submitted to previous competitions.
- Any medium is fine: digital, paint, photo, sculpture, etc.
- Entrants must provide details of the medium used; dimensions; description/artist statement.
- Artists are welcome to submit more than one work.
- Competition closes 27th May 2016. Photos of the artwork must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 28th May. Artwork must delivered to the Quality Hotel, Cuba Street, Wellington by 3rd June 2016.
Artwork will be displayed / viewable during the Con at a specified location. All entrants grant Au Contraire 2016 the right to post photos of their entry in any con publications (physical and/or digital).
Tanja Gardner and Gary Freeman
Print booksWinning filk will be performed live by Daphne Lawless (songwriter and filker, Vostok Lake / Cousins of Mercy / Murderous Little Toys) at the Au Contraire 2016 closing ceremony (where possible).
- Classic filks (new SF&F-related lyrics written to well-known tunes) preferred.
- Original tunes only allowed if they come with an audio recording.
- Entries will be judged under criteria of well-written; fun to sing; emotional impact
- Contestants to be members of Au Contraire 2016.
- Competition closes 27th May 2016. The filk (as a text file, and optionally an audio recording as well) must be sent to email@example.com by 28th May. Please don't include your name or other identifying information in the attached file(s).